Wascana Canyon Railway v2 - Part 3


In Part 2 I described the way in which I mounted the Masonite and prepared the surface for a future backdrop.

The next step was to construct some bench-work. The bench-work that was to sit on top of the shelf brackets was based on simple L-girder construction with a 1/8 in. Masonite fascia mounted to the front of some basic framing.

All bench-work would eventually be topped with extruded foam insulation panels.




I wanted the peninsula support to be very strong, but light and I wanted it to be self-supporting and not in any way relying for its strength on the shelf supports.

Having seen many and built several railway trestles in my time was aware of the strength of this design but without having to use a lot of material. However, a traditional trestle would not lend itself well to supporting my peninsula because the base would be wider than the top, creating a tripping hazard.

I reasoned that an upside-down trestle would be just as strong so I built my trestle structure upside down. With the base being narrower than the top, there was no tripping hazard. I used 2x2 and 1x2 lumber to construct the trestle.





To be continued……