Scratch Building a small Office Building - Part 2 of 2


Continued from Part 1 of 2:

I next applied a generous amount of unscented hair spray to the lower half of all the exterior walls. This is needed to create the peeling paint effect:


I next painted the exterior walls with light yellow acrylic paint. Once set, following the steps in my earlier blog on the peeling paint effect, I removed some of the yellow paint to show the effect:


Next I added a basic interior which is simply a photograph of shelving obtained from an Internet search which I glued to a triangular-shaped piece of card stock glued to the wood flooring. I have found that, when this interior of a structure is lit as this one will be, this very simple approach to a building interior provides enough information to the viewer who is looking through the 1:87 scale size window to suggest that there is a finished interior. It is not possible for them to discern that this is merely a photograph attached to cardboard. The interior is lit with a single LED mounted to the top of a tower of strip wood mounted to one corner of the floor.



Finally, I applied Rusty Stumps self-adhesive shingles to the roof which can be seen being lowered into the building along with the interior walls:


I made the sign by printing the letters on printer paper with my inkjet printer and gluing the resulting sign to the signboard I made from scrap wood.

Here is the completed building with the lights on and showing a partially-pulled-down folding blind in the right-hand window (although not visible in this picture, I drew parallel pencil lines horizontally on the inside of the blind which gives the illusion of the pleats in a pull-down folding blind). The foundation stonework is made from left-over peel-and-stick material left over from the craftsman kit project I outlined in an earlier blog post. I 3D printed the handrails for the stairs.


The next project is to complete the scenery around the base of the building, including a parking lot and some other ground cover.