New Logging Area

I recently completed another industry on my model railroad - a small diorama depicting the edge of a logging area, where the cut logs are loaded on rail cars.

The small building is scratch-built and was featured in one of my blog posts in March.

The trees are made using the "furnace filter" technique.

The log loader was purchased from 3000 Toys, an excellent source of vehicles which they sell in many scales. The loader came with a red plastic light on top of the cab but it was not lit. I added my own red flashing LED. I purchased the red flashing LED from Evan Designs, my favourite source of very tiny LEDs (pico, nano). I dismantled the loader which was easy because it was held together with several Philips head screws and glued the nano-size LED into the red plastic fixture on the roof of the cab with canopy glue. The LED circuit is wired into the 12-volt DC accessory buss which runs under the model railroad.

The brown ground cover is made from dried leaves ground to a very fine consistency in an old coffee grinder.

The tree stumps were slices cut from the branches from pruning shrubs in the back yard of our former house.